Saturday, October 9, 2010

Stories of a Working Gal

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! 

        Another week has come and gone in Hamilton. This week was the first where we worked on developing a bit more of a routine together. This of course had to do with the fact that I started working this week and things are changing around our home.
        I started working on Monday of this week. I work from 8am - 5pm Monday-Friday and it's been good to get settled. The first couple days had me a little worried because there wasn't much to do, the phone wasn't ringing and I thought I had signed myself up for months and months of utter boredom. But as the week wore on, I learned quite a bit of new things and I have realized they plan to teach me much more!  Some of my responsibilities are the basic answering the phone, messages, invoicing, signing for and ordering parts, etc. I also get to shuttle people to and from their homes in a cool little car. I drive cars in and out of the shop so that they're ready for the guys to work on. This means I've got to drive some pretty cool cars! I'm suffering from car envy a little bit... :) The lady I work for (Alison) is great! Often times people come in expecting a man to walk out of the office and do the estimate on their car and are shocked to see her. We've had some fun with that! There are 6 guys that do the repair work and painting in the shop and they are all super nice. I've developed a cool rapport with a couple of the guys. Soon, they hope to train me to be able to do small repair estimates (ex. on the bumper of a car involved in a fender bender) so that should be interesting! So far, so good. 
        I've been keeping busy doing some hair as well. I hope to schedule any hair appointments so that I'm only doing them 2 nights a week and then Saturday mornings. We'll see how that goes! I still really enjoy it and want to keep using my skills this way as well.   
        Matt's week was pretty average. Just busy with school, staying up way to late working on papers and fulfilling his many obligations. :) Not much to report there. He was pretty excited for his past Thursday night when Hockey Night in Canada kicked off with a Battle of Alberta. Our apartment was pretty busy with friends and family watching the game. Unfortunately, due to the time difference, the later games don't start until 10pm here which meant I went to bed and tried to sleep while everyone else stayed up until 1:00am watching the game! Craziness! I guess that's just life though. I've just resigned myself to the fact that we will be having many late Saturday nights during the hockey season. :)
        We're looking to buy a new car in the next week or so which has me pretty excited! Matt's parents are coming out for a visit next weekend and some car shopping is part of our plans with them. Matt's dad is great with vehicles and I don't think we'd buy a vehicle without him helping us pick it out. :) So I'm excited that hopefully in the next couple of weeks, we will have a car to drive around instead of the lovely truck. The truck's been great and all... but yikes, I've had some scary moments trying to get across 5 or 6 lanes of traffic on my way to work. :)
        This week was a bit of a rough one for me. With me starting work, it kind of hit me that this is life now... Living here, missing family and friends, missing out on all the things going on back home, etc. Up until I started working, it just felt like a great big adventure that we were on, and then soon we'd be heading back home... But I've had to realize that this is our home now. My home is here in Hamilton with Matthew. And it's been great... But now it just seems so much more permanent. I dunno if that makes sense, but ya, Matt's had to spend some time this week consoling his wife. :)
        Well, it seems that with the start of full time work has also come the end of a significant amount of my adventures so there's not much else to report. We hope you are all healthy and well and enjoying a very happy and blessed thanksgiving weekend. It seems cliche to say, but we really do have so much to be thankful for hey?


With Much Love,
Matt & Jac

5 comments:

  1. Oh, and happy birthday to my beautiful Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a working gal? that used to have very negative connontations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! We DO have much to be thankful for, but I sure do miss my friend!!! *sniff* So glad you have a joba and hope you find a cool little car! Sounds like you have settled in pretty good and before you know it it will be Christmas!! I'm sure in another month or so the countdown will be on :) Glad Matt's parents will be out...that will be so nice for both of you! All the best this week and thanks for the life update!
    Love you guys!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally understand how the "new reality" is hard. But, I know you are resilient and you will both be fine!! I'm glad that your job will bring new challenges for you and I know you will be fantastic with anything they give you to do!! I'm glad that Al and Aneta will be visiting soon... something to look forward to will help with the 'down feelings'.....
    And thank you for the Happy Birthday!! I love the card you sent and the gift card!!
    Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving...
    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that the job is going good so far and that you're holding up okay. I miss you, my darling friend. Also happy to hear that Matt's parents will be on their way soon, that gives you something to look forward to and something to do for the next few weeks. Good luck with the vehicle shopping. That's crazy exciting!!!! We'll be calling tonight or tomorrow! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete