Sunday, October 3, 2010

One Month In...

Hi Everyone!


        Well, it's official. We've been in Hamilton, in our new home for a month now! Seems kind of crazy to think about but it makes sense at the same time. We are really starting to feel settled in now, the apartment feels like home, and Matt is as busy as he's ever been with school. We've had a good week and are getting ready for the changes that are on the way in the coming week. 
        Why the changes? Well, I got a job this week! I applied for a receptionist position with an auto body shop about 10 minutes away from our place. I had my first interview last week and then got called back to come in for a second interview on Wednesday. It was a pretty competitive job process with over 90 applicants, ~15 of us getting a first interview and then only a few of us getting the second interview so I was pretty excited. The interview went well and they told me I would know the answer the next afternoon. So I was surprised when they called only a couple of hours later to tell me I got the job! It's a job that is a great fit for us and will really help us out financially. I am going to work Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm, leaving me evenings and weekends free to take care of the house, do any hair I want, and spend time with my hubby. Any of the other jobs I have been offered have included evening and weekend shifts with no set schedule, and also a lower wage... So this position should hopefully work out great! I start tomorrow so I guess we will see! Matthew and I have talked a bit about planning for dinners and both of us helping keep the house clean/organized so we are optimistic. :)
        Things with our truck are still up in the air. We dropped our truck off at a repair shop last Friday and were supposed to hear news sometime this week and we simply haven't heard anything. We tried to call a couple times and only got answering machines so we don't really have a clue what's going on... But we still have the little Kia Soul SUV from the rental company so that's been fun! :) I'm going to be sad to give it back. :) We're hoping to get some answers about our truck in the next couple of days and then get it on Kijiji as soon as we can. My route to work is on one of the busiest streets in downtown Hamilton so I'm not to excited about the prospect about driving the truck to work and we'd really like to get a car. :P But we'll see what happens!
        Matt has been busy at school this week and there were a couple days that he stayed there pretty late. I on the other hand enjoyed my last week of not working as best I could! On Monday I went to Toronto with my aunt & uncle as well as my cousin and his girlfriend. We checked out a lot of cool things down town including the CN Tower (didn't go up it though... My uncle & I both HATE heights! :) ), the Eaton Centre Mall, the Steam Whistle Brewery,the CBC building, the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the waterfront. We found this little cafe where people are allowed to bring their pets in with them... Ummm EWW!! We sure didn't order anything there. 
Here are some pictures of Toronto:
CN Tower
 Weird Toronto Architecture
 Self-Explanatory :)
 CBC Building; Mr. Dressups real actual easel and stool
 Toronto's Old City Hall
 Hockey Hall of Fame; net, stick, gloves, etc. of Wayne Gretzky 
commemorating one of the many records he broke. 802 goals!
 Derek came in the picture with me. Stanley Cup!
 Self-Explanatory. I hope! :)
        So Monday was a fun day! Tuesday I hung out with my aunt and we did some shopping while my uncle and cousin did their own thing. It was nice to spend so much time with you Auntie Veronica! :)
        The rest of the week is kind of a blur. I did a couple hair cuts, did groceries and the like, took care of getting some more of our paperwork switched over to Ontario, etc. Friday afternoon Matt and I had to wait for over an hour to try and get health care cards for this crazy province. Turns out that we put EVERYTHING under my name when we moved here so Matthew doesn't have a single piece of government mail proving that he actually lives in Ontario. So he wasn't able to get one yet. Oops! I was able to register for one no problem, although it's a bit more intense here. You don't just get a little flimsy card that will rip in your wallet... You get a card that basically looks like a second drivers license complete with your picture and what not. Mine should be here in a month. 
        Matt's been busy with school. He finished book report #1, only to right away start preparing for book report #2. He also is really busy with his practicum placement. He is working with a campus ministry called the Navigators and it keeps him busy an additional 10 hours a week with small group studies, a main group study, prayer meetings, etc. He's not minding it so far, but hasn't really found himself to have a passion for it. We will see how the rest of his placement plays out.
        Well, not much else to report. Life is about to settle into a pretty set routine. I think I'm ready for it, but I'm gonna miss all the "me time" I've had over the past month. :)
        We hope you are all doing well. 

Much Love & God Bless,
Matt & Jacquie

1 comment:

  1. It was great to spend time with you and see where you, Matt and "the guys" are living....
    Hope you enjoy your job :)
    We will definately keep in touch....
    Hugs from Uncle Jan and I

    ReplyDelete