Saturday, September 18, 2010

What We've Been Doing to Keep Busy...

        Well, this post will have substantially less pictures and a lot more words then the one from last night! :) I'll just give you an update of what we've been up to!
        Monday morning I dropped Matt off for class and then headed back home to look up some salons that might be hiring. I found some right away but unfortunately most of them are closed Mondays. I did get one call back right away and had an interview right away Monday night. Crazy! I got my resume ready and just kind of explored some options before heading to school to pick up Matt at 5:30. There is another family here from Lethbridge that just started this year as well and Matt met up with the husband (Jeremy) in Lethbridge before making his decision to come to Hamilton. Well, since coming to Hamilton we've been trying to get together and Monday was the night. So I picked up Jeremy and Matt from school at the same time and we headed right to there house. We had a great meal and enjoyed spending some time with them and their little 3-year old boy. We weren't able to stay too long as I had the job interview at 8:00 in Burlington (about a 20-30 minute drive from Hamilton). Matt came with me to Burlington and wandered the mall while I had my interview. The interview went okay, but I left knowing that I didn't want to work at that salon as they were more of a product supply store with a tiny salon at the back, instead of being a full-size salon that sold a bit of product. I'm not super comfortable with pushing product sales so I knew it wouldn't be a good match. I dropped off one more resume in the mall that night and we headed home. 
        I drove Matt to school again on Tuesday and then headed out to a cool little orchard about a 20 minute drive from here. We had made a connection with a family and the wife is a hairdresser so she invited me to come out and meet up with her and some other moms and kids and then she helped me out with which salons I should and should not check out in the area. It was great and helpful and it was nice to make a couple connections, even if it made me feel REALLY young. :) Later on in the day I got 2 call-backs for interviews, the first being the same day at 5 and the other one being on Thursday afternoon. I picked Matt up from school and then headed back to the Burlington Mall for another interview. The interview went great and I have been offered the job but I have to decide in the next couple of days if I want to take the job or not. Burlington is about 20-30 minutes away but it really depends on the traffic. In order to get there I have to head on the 403 to Toronto which is a BUSY highway and I really don't enjoy driving the truck on it... :P The hours also aren't the greatest, with having to work every other Sunday as well as working two nights until 9. So Matt and I are still discussing and praying about this option.
        Wednesday I dropped Matt of again and then a girl from the area named Caryn came and picked me up to head out with her for the morning. Her and her husband are the ones from Calgary and she grew up in Coaldale so we had a lot in common right away! We headed back to the orchard I had been at the day before and each picked around 9-10 pounds of apples. She then took me to an area in the city that is really forested in and has tons of walking trails. We hiked through the area for about 2 hours and it was GREAT! I came home and then we had Tim over for dinner and then Matty B came for a visit and haircut. Busy times!


Here's a picture from the park we hiked through:

       Thursday I dropped Matt of AGAIN :). We have bought a bike for him but he is taking full advantage of me being around, at least for the time being. Plus, it was pouring on Thursday so it would've been sucky to walk anyways. :) I made my way to the nice big mall here in Hamilton and did a bit of shopping and hanging out before heading back to pick up Matthew from school. I got home in time to get ready for my next interview. This one was for a salon only 2 blocks from our house but unfortunately she could only give me 16 hours a week so I had to turn that one down. Oh well, at least I know there are quite a few options out there! Once home I baked two different kinds of muffins. One was a pumpkin chocolate spice muffin that Matthew LOVES! It works out great for me because I really don't eat pumpkin so I'm not super tempted to eat them. I also made some apple spice crumble muffins. I have enjoyed them for breakfast the last couple days and they're great! Thursday night we headed to a "Navigators" service. Navigators is one of the campus ministries on the McMaster campus and Matthew is doing his first practicum with them so we went and checked it out. It was great with dinner being served and then a really good speaker. I think Matt will enjoy working with them. I'm not sure if I'll keep going with him, it'll kind of depend on my work situation too. We'll see!
        Yesterday Matt and I headed out and I dropped off a few more resumes, we did some banking, and we went and changed our cell phone plans to ones that will suit our needs best here in Hamilton. We were gone for quite a while but I got a call back right away from a salon. Unfortunately, they only wanted me to work Sundays, which just isn't something I was interested in. So the search continues. The rest of the day was spent around the house and then Matt got busy with his homework. I made an apple pie with the apples picked at the orchard and it turned out great (if I'm allowed to say so myself?) I hope to make one more in the next couple days. Look at me being all domesticated! :)
        Well, now it's Saturday. Matt was gone for a couple hours to the library and has been working on homework for the past few hours. They sure don't believe in easing you in when it comes to seminary! :) I have gotten through 4 loads of laundry and done some other wifely things. It's been a good day. 
        I would just like to ask those of you who are praying to keep on praying for Matthew and I for wisdom when it comes to what job I take. We are trying to make the decision that is best for the family and I am a little worried about being able to take care of the house and everything if I'm working 6 days a week in Burlington. There is a position for a secretary that just opened up so I'm going to apply right away on Monday. I would really like to get this job as it would leave the weekends free for hair styling and for some "family time" but we will see! Thanks everyone!
        Well, I'm off to make dinner and then get ready for Eric and Joy to come over for the evening. I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend!


With Much Love, 
       Matt & Jacquie

1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful park!!
    Sounds like a full week. We'll keep praying about your job situation...
    Enjoy your visit with Eric and Joy.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete